One in three people in the UK has high blood pressure (hypertension), however many people are unaware because there are usually no symptoms. High blood pressure increases your risk of a heart attack or stroke. The only way to know if your blood pressure is high is to have it checked.
- What is high blood pressure?
When blood pressure is measured, two numbers are generated. An ideal blood pressure is below 120/80 millimetres of mercury (mmHg). If the first number is above 140 and/or the second number is above 90, this is regarded as high blood pressure.
- Blood pressure checks
Blood pressure checks are quick and easy and can be life-saving. You can ask your GP or pharmacist to check your blood pressure (not all pharmacies offer this service). You could also consider investing in a home blood pressure monitor.
- Tips for healthy blood pressure
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Stay physically active
- Reduce the amount of salt in your diet
- Eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables daily
- Keep your alcohol consumption within recommended limits
- Get a good night’s sleep