Thursday 29th of April 2021 is Britain ‘On Your Feet’ day. This is a national activity awareness day to promote sitting less and moving more at work, but it is also a good excuse to promote these good habits to the whole family!
We all know that moving more will reduce the risk of becoming overweight/obese, developing diabetes, developing heart disease and more. In honour of ‘on your feet day’ here are a few ways to reduce your sitting time and to start moving more:
Children and Teenagers (Aged 5 to 18)
- Consider ways for children and teenagers to “earn” screen time
- Get outside in the sunshine to play games or sports
- Agree as a family a screen time limit per day and stick to it
- Get on your bikes to meet up in parks for a socially distanced active ‘hang-out’
- Make bedrooms a TV, computer/laptop and phone-free zone
- House chores such as hoovering, washing the car, mowing the lawn, taking the bins out all count as exercise
- When buying gifts, choose presents which promote being active such as a scooter, a skateboard, a ball or a kite rather than video games.
- Try creating some new dance routines – be TikTok ready!
Adults (Aged 18+)
- Run a lunchtime fitness session for the office, over Zoom or outdoors as a socially distanced meet up.
- Sound an alert at random times in your department or work hub, which is a signal for everyone to stand up and sit down. Impose a fine or forfeit for anyone caught napping.
- Take regular breaks from your computer, stand up, stretch and walk around your office or home workplace.
- Create a workplace and/or family competition for who can do the most steps each week – the winner should get a small prize.
- Make and take phone calls standing up.
- Walk up the escalators and use the stairs more.
- Hold standing/walking meetings.
- Setup your desk area so you can stand or sit.
- Agree that any speaker must stand during meetings.
- During TV time use the adverts as standing/squatting/hoping/stretching time.
Join the rest of Britain on Thursday the 29th of April 2021 and get yourself moving!