Rogan Josh is made using tomatoes and has a lovely delicate flavour. I like this recipe made with prawns but it works equally well with chicken too (you would need to use 4 skinless chicken breasts).
|2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil||1 onion, sliced|
|1 butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes||4 tomatoes, roughly chopped|
|1 tsp cumin seeds||1 tsp paprika|
|2 tbsp medium hot curry paste (check for gluten free)||500ml gluten free bouillon or vegetable stock|
|500g peeled prawns||200g basmati rice|
|juice of 1 lemon||handful fresh coriander leaves|
• Using a large non-stick pan over a moderate heat, cook the diced onion and butternut squash for 8-10 minutes or until softened.
• Next, add the tomatoes and cumin seeds and cook for a further 5 minutes until the tomatoes are softened and pulpy.
• Stir in the paprika, curry paste and vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
• Now add the prawns and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes with the lid on a slant, leaving a little air hole.
• Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions. Basmati rice takes 10-12 minutes once added to boiling water.
• When the rice is cooked, drain through a colander and wash through with extra boiling water to remove the starch and stop the rice from sticking together.
• Spoon the rice into serving bowls with the Rogan Josh on top. Serve sprinkled and lemon wedges to squeeze over before eating.