Recipe by Dr Helen Flaherty, Heart Research UK
Simple red lentil and tomato soup recipe
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 200 g red lentils washed thoroughly
- 900 ml vegetable stock
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- Black pepper ground
- Step 1: Heat the rapeseed oil in a large pan and add the onions and cook gently until translucent.
- Step 2: Add the garlic and cumin (if using) and cook gently for a further minute, ensuring the garlic does not burn.
- Step 3: Add the washed lentils to the pan with the vegetable stock, tinned tomatoes and ground black pepper.
- Step 4: Bring to the boil and then simmer for 25 minutes.
- Step 5: Allow the soup to cool slightly and then puree it in a blender until smooth.